Literacy - Reading and Writing
Groups of learners are supported in both classroom and withdrawal programmes with a teacher-aide. Teaching is focused on the learner’s next steps in phonics, spelling, reading and writing.
Learners are withdrawn from class for a short small group or individual reading time. Programmes are designed and chosen to meet each child’s particular need
- Talk to learn
- Phonemic awareness
- Accelerated learning
- Buddy reading/writing
- Praise Prompt Pause
- Reciprocal reading
- Toe by Toe
Computer programmes used to assist learning:
Groups of learners are supported in both classroom and withdrawal programmes with a teacher-aide. Teaching is focused on the learner’s next steps in both number and strand mathematics. Intense number knowledge reinforcement is done.
Our learners are able to have a one on one session with a student counsellor each week on an appointment basis. If you believe your child would benefit from this please contact their class teacher or Ms Morris
This is a unique peer support program for children dealing with feelings of loss and grief resulting from separation, divorce, life threatening illness and death. If this is something your child would benefit from please contact their class teacher or Ms Morris
English as a Second or Other Language (ESOL)
English language learners are supported with a withdrawal programme with a trained teacher and given in class support by teacher aides. It is focused on the learner’s individual next steps, oral work and laying a solid grammar foundation.
Gifted and Talented Students
Learners who are working well above their peers in the general curriculum, or in an interest area are supported in a range of ways. Learners will have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) developed with the class teacher, Special Education Co-ordinator and Parents. Students have the option of attending Mind Plus for a day a week.
Websites that might be helpful:
There are a range of agencies that we work with to support our learners, a referral for these will usually start with a classroom teacher and parent concern and then in a meeting with the Special Education Needs Co-ordinator a plan to address needs will be made which may then involve help from:
- RTLB – Resource Teacher of Learning and Behaviour- these are specialist teachers trained to support learners with their learning or behavioural needs.
- MOESE – Ministry of Education: Special Education
- SLT – Speech and Language Therapists
- RT:Lit – Resource Teacher Literacy Support
- SLS – Supplementary Learning Support
- Moderate Physical Needs Contract – Occupational/ Physio Therapists
- Whirinaki – Behavioral/ Emotional/ Mental Health Support
- Oranga Tamariki – Child, Youth and Family Services
- Educational and Behaviour Psychologists
- Crisis and Trauma Team – Ministry of Education
- Interim Support Ministry of Education
- Marinoto – Child Youth and Mental Health Services
Phone 09 836 6913 63 St.
63 St. Georges Bay Road, Avondale, Auckland 0600